Friday, February 21, 2014

Upholstery Cleaning-Bacteria

Well I just got back from another class to expand my knowledge even more and this class was a 4 hour class on bacteria. I'm going to break down what I learned into just a couple of key facts. What do you think holds the most bacteria in your home? There were about 40 people in the class and some of the answers were bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, then it got more detailed like kitchen sink, behind the toilet, the toilet, in the bathtub, shower and on and on. No one guessed it it was your couch (upholstery) I was shocked a study of 100 homes found that the couch held the most bacteria. So this got me thinking how is this possible and I came to the conclusion that it is just overlooked. We clean and scrub those other ares all the time but how often do we have our upholstery cleaned. I own a cleaning company and I'm lucky if we clean our upholstery once a year. Needless to say all my upholstery will be cleaned this weekend. Another thing I found out is the reason we are getting these so called "Super bugs." People are not letting there chemical to kill the bacteria or bugs dwell long enough. The recommended dwell time is 10 minutes but most of us just spray and wipe letting most of the bacteria build a resistance to our cleaning agents. Being in the business I understand about dwell time but I am guilty of using the spray and wipe technique myself. So remember get your upholstery cleaned and don't forget about dwell time when your cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment